Thursday, November 15, 2012

Internship Corner: Linzy Smith

This week's internship blog comes from Assistant Firm Director Linzy Smith, who served as an intern in marketing and public relations at Marietta Memorial Hospital:


From May 14, 2012 to Aug. 17, 2012, I interned in the marketing and public relations sector at Marietta Memorial Hospital (MMH) in Marietta, Ohio. Beginning my internship at MMH required a lot of basic, preliminary training and processes. Although I was only an intern for more than three months, I had to go through the same process as any other employee. I received shots and had a physical done. I was given several tours of the hospital to ensure I knew what I was writing about and also to familiarize me with the environment.

My responsibilities this week were all of which I was familiar with: writing, editing and interviewing. As a student at Waynesburg University, I have exhausted these skills in every public relations class. My daily duties involved the following: writing and production of brochures, press releases, fact sheets, information packets, as well as using Associated Press Style to edit, update and maintain the company websites, social media accounts and other electronically available media, as well as organizing, structuring and planning events. The two most significant tasks I worked on were the Belpre Open House and the internal marketing campaign. I was the event coordinator for the major opening of the medical campus twenty minutes away. Alongside all work, we were developing an internal campaign for the hospital employees.

Although I gained invaluable experience at the hospital, there were parts that I didn’t like as much. I would much rather be working directly with the public than sitting at a desk all day--I’m not someone who would be able to work an office job; however, I learned so much being there and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

My advice to any upcoming seniors is to narrow a focus in your major. This way, students will be able to find an internship that highlights those particular areas of interest rather than working broadly in marketing sectors that may not enhance their abilities. Overall, any internship provides a great experience that helps students learn what they want to do with their future and provides long-term, professional connections for the business world.

No comments:

Post a Comment