Thursday, November 1, 2012

Internship Corner: Hope Frick

Junior public relations major Hope Frick discusses her time with Quantum Communications in Harrisburg, Pa.



I interned at Quantum Communications, a strategic communications firm in Harrisburg, Pa. I worked every day from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., so I gained a lot of experience as to what being in the “real” professional world was like – I even took the train to and from work!

While we represented a broad range of clients, I mostly worked with clients from the natural gas industry and energy industry. “My” biggest client was ANGA (America’s Natural Gas Alliance), an umbrella alliance that represents more than 20 natural gas companies such as Cabot, Chesapeake and Range Resources. ANGA’s biggest focus is domestic energy sources, specifically natural gas energy from the Marcellus and Utica shale supplies. I really had no idea about natural gas before starting at Quantum, so I was able to learn so much from working with ANGA.

I represented ANGA at three expo/conferences while interning – an experience I absolutely loved. I may have seemed a little out of place among the hard-working pipelining and excavating companies, but thankfully people were open to listen to what I had to say on behalf of ANGA. Working at these events enabled me to network within the industry and I secured many valuable contacts that are still helping me today. I also gained event planning experience, as I had to plan out my exhibit space, contact the expo administrations, set-up and tear-down, etc.

In addition to working with ANGA, I also helped the Quantum office plan their policy briefings, a monthly event that hosts a political figure in a
“town-hall” setting. Three weeks prior to each briefing, I would go over the guest list with my boss and then call and invite them. Our guests included senators, congressmen, representatives and other political figures. I also helped set up for the event, plan the menu, provide “welcome” packets and literature. It was hectic at times but it was great experience.

My last project with Quantum was to create a state-wide media list for UGI Energy Services. This seemed like a daunting task, but I was able to draw from what I learned in my PR classes in Waynesburg to finish the project (two weeks before it was due)!

Like I said above, I loved working at the expos. I felt so natural in that setting, I was able to be peppy and bubbly. I felt like a true young professional as the attendees listened to what I was saying – it’s a great feeling to feel like you really are engaging someone in what you are saying. It’s validating!

I also enjoyed the atmosphere Quantum provided. They treated me as a real employee  - not just “the intern”. I was given as much responsibility as everyone else. I also have to throw in my love for taking the train. Amtrak is your friend people!
The only thing I disliked about my internship was the long hours. I realized I wasn’t a kid anymore – I was a working adult! It was hard to see my friends go on vacations and go to the mall, but the experience I gained from my internship will last me through my whole PR career.

My advice for any future interns? Over exhaust yourself; Take advantage of every opportunity that is thrown your way! Just because you are the intern does not mean you cannot contribute. You have the opportunity to step up and show you are a young professional. Also, make sure to keep record of everyone you meet. Take business cards, send thank you cards after meeting them, things like that. You never know when your connections can come in handy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment