Thursday, October 25, 2012

Internship Corner: Mitch Graham

Summer internships are designed to give students approaching the end of their academic career a time to apply what they've learned in the classroom to real situations with real organizations, real businesses and real people. They're nerve-wracking, challenging and unrelenting, but they're also invaluable, rewarding and sometimes fun.

I spent my summer working as an Account Services intern at PAPA (pay-pa) Advertising in Erie, Pa. PAPA is a full service advertising agency that offers services in advertising, branding, interactive design and public relations. With only six full time staff and three part time, the office environment was very hard working, but very laid back and causal at the same time.

I was given my own office with a view, which was fantastic. I was one of two interns, the other being a graphic design intern. I reported directly to the vice president who is also the primary PR person at the agency.

While I was at PAPA, I worked on average thirty hours a week. While I worked, I was primarily responsible for a number of things, including:
   Assist in conducting and reporting brand discovery focus groups.
   Create and distribute press releases for multiple clients.
   Write white papers discussing current trends in the marketing and public relations industries.
   Establish and maintain social media presences.
   Serve as client-to-agency liaison for a local nonprofit organization.
   Create and distribute agency & client e-newsletters.
   Write and update copy for online banner advertisements, paid search advertisements, and online business listings.
   Review and proofread proposals and various client material.
   Utilize AP Style.
   Serve as receptionist; greet clients, answer phone calls, emails, etc.

For the most part, I really enjoyed working at PAPA. I've worked in a corporate office setting and at Waynesburg University's Office of University Relations, and I definitely enjoyed working in a creative agency space and working with multiple clients at the same time. Each day is something new, and there's never enough time to get bored with something! I also enjoyed the informal setting at PAPA. Skip, the owner and president of PAPA, loved to bring his dog Bella into the office. On select Fridays, the guys at the agency would pitch money together and split a six-pack amongst everybody, which is something I've never experienced before, and was shocking to me at first. All in all, I loved the creative, laid back style that the agency fully embraced.

Overall, I would recommend any PR major to intern at an agency at some point in their career. The creative energy, unique and hard working, fast paced setting is unmatched in a corporate setting. I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at PAPA Advertising and would not mind working there again in the future!

-Mitch Graham, senior public relations major

No comments:

Post a Comment