Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Student Applying Public Relations Principles to improve campus organization

Last year when I was elected to be the secretary of Student Senate, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Fortunately, most of the unknowns turned out to be positives.

Besides all of my regular duties, I serve as the head of the Publicity Task Force. I was extremely excited about this prospect because as a public relations major, I am able to gain experience out of the Department of Communication and in an entirely different setting.

On campus, Student Senate does not have the prestige that it should. Most people don’t even really care about it. One of my major goals was to create exposure for Senate and show the student body how important it really is.

The first major accomplishment of my task force was the creation of our Twitter, @WUStudentSenate. Continuing our use of social media, we hope to create a Facebook page next. Although a Facebook reaches a larger audience, it involves more work.

Currently, I am applying concepts that I have learned from all three of the semesters I have been in the Department of Communication. In particular my Principles of Design class has been by far the most beneficial to current projects. I did not realize just how valuable it would be both designing on and off the computer.

Senate’s first major event is on Wednesday, Oct. 20, and my group is in charge of creating the fliers. Without Principles of Design, the fliers would probably be disorganized and lack cohesiveness. I know that having Professor Schiffbauer teach me all those concepts has helped become a better designer and have a better eye for designs.

We are also currently tackling designing a logo for Senate and updating the board we use at events such as the activities fair and visitation days. A logo would help create a brand for Senate. For example, the board currently in use does not follow design elements such as alignment and proximity, and therefore, doesn’t do justice for the organization.

Overall, I still have a lot of work to do in promoting Student Senate, but it’s a challenge I take in stride because I know not only will benefit Senate, but it will also benefit me.

-Chelsea Cummins (@ChelseaCummins
Sophmore Public Relations Major
Waynesburg University PRSSA, Secretary

No comments:

Post a Comment