Saturday, September 18, 2010

Conference in Pittsburgh impresses upon first semester public relations major

Coming into college, I expected my first semester to lull along with very little involvement in my major. This was simply not the case. On Wednesday, September 15, 2010, just four weeks into my collegiate career, I found myself traveling to a Public Relations Conference in Pittsburgh. This conference, hosted by the PRSA, had many speakers that enlightened me on my chosen major. These speakers ranged from professionals in the public relations field to psychologists, and it was this diversity that seemed to keep me deeply interested.


Tim Mclntyre, Vice President of Communications for Domino's, gave a lecture and the keynote to end the conference. He spoke of when Domino's had a crisis and what steps were taken to reconcile their losses. This was very exciting for a freshman such as me. I was in the same room with a man that is living my dream, and telling me how to achieve it. I listened with great intensity as Mr. Mclntyre shared that Domino's is now thriving because of the aggressive steps taken by himself and his team.

My experience at this event was nothing short of excellent. I got to listen to men and women that are making a difference for their employers by using their skills with media. I also learned that these people are real, and they are normal human beings, not superheroes. This motivates me to become one of them. I feel driven to reach the level of expertise I witnessed at this conference, and because of their sharing of their experiences, I am one step closer to achieving that goal. 

Marlin Cowsert
Freshman Public Relations Major

No comments:

Post a Comment